The following is a revised version of the troll that appeared in the dark revelations adventurers guide.
Hopefully, it will amuse.
Hopefully, it will amuse.
“All your fancy talk means is you’re not doing your job” is one of the Trollitariot mottos for life as they strive to keep busy. Trollitariot are from the dreamtime and that far off, yet very close dimension is filled with Trollitariot puttering around with useless tasks while dreaming of meaningful work elsewhere. Most Trollitariot don't like it there, and describe as being "too bright," "too clean," and "filled with overly cheerful lazy folks." Thus, many have found their way to revelations earth through dimensional portals. "Its not too bad here, if you like the whole world gone crazy as hell look. At least it's not boring" it pretty much every Trollitariots answer to why they seek out a life in ruins of multiple civilizations.
Then there is the hard talk that Trollitariot must have with other species: "we're not your average troll. In fact, we're nothing like an average troll, we are above average trolls. But we leave it to you who the real trolls are, and won't blame you if you don't this crazy crap." This and other similar circular and confusing conversations is often had in regards that they have taken the same name, and frankly look like the common giant species of troll. To this effect, instead of calling themselves trolls, they now call themselves Trollitariot and encourage others to do the same. Trollitariot are fey stalk and of no relation to their giant counterparts with the same name, and certainly not related to elves…that's just as bad. At least that’s what any Trollitariot worth their salt will claim.
Trollitariot are laborers by nature. They work for long hours often doing trivial tasks, all while they mutter threats and complaints under their breath about their lot in life. If asked why they don't stop working, a common reply after some light profanity is "I'd really prefer to be doing something than nothing." In the Dreamtime, Trollitariot communities not under the control of elvin or other fey courts are filled with towering walls, arches, bridges, causeways, and endless roadways. Many of which that serve no purpose other than to fill the days with something to build. Some Trollitariot communities have night crews that purposefully damage and tear up the meticulous works just to provide the day crew with a new challenge to tackle. It's all a bit weird and counterproductive. Certainly, it answers the question why so many Trollitariot seek life outside of the Dreamtime.
The largest colonies of Trollitariot outside of the Dreamtime are in the DPP and in the Drejlands.
While in the Drejlands they often organize themselves into unions to get the best deals for their hard work, in the DPP they are at best indentured servants and they kept well out of sight of the regular public. While it is well known dirty secret that the DPP government has been using non-humanoid species or species that just don't look human enough for forced labor, its citizens really have no clue just how extensive the issue is, as there is perhaps a hundred thousand Trollitariots alone working on public works projects. The Trollitariot in the DPP are by far not passive actors in their fate, and aware there is a difference between good work and slavery. Their disagreeable nature and tendency to unionize may yet threaten to destabilize the DPP.
Trollitariot are usually abrupt and even a little derogatory when it comes to other species, often using a single word to define them.
Despite these opinions, once you’ve earned the respect of a Trollitariot, you have a friend for life. While they might not always stick their neck out for you, they will consider you a “troller” and may do a lot more than you think to help you out when in need.
A combined dwarven and Trollitariot workforce may seem a bit comedic to watch as the two species often butt heads and rub each other the wrong way. However, if they can cooperate any job they are working on is usually completed in less than half the normal time and under budget.
Trollitariot often adventure just to keep busy. While they don't seek out fame or fortune, they will often stumble into it through sheer tenacity. A Trollitariot suddenly thrust into the limelight as a hero often seems aloof and ungrateful at the prospect. Though it's not they don't understand their actions, it's just a little confusing why everyone is paying attention to them and not the outcome of a job well done. Even if things get tough, most Trollitariot just shrug and consider it “just another day on the damned job.”
Despite often being an expert in their respective fields, most Trollitariot are boorish. They enjoy using lewd behavior and words to get a rise out of folks, especially those that they don’t like. They also have a fondness for wordplay and quips. If you are pals with a Trollitariot, just be aware that rather than insulting you, they enjoy friendly ribbing, and giving you a nickname.
Now, none of this will affect a Trollitariot's work, for they are pretty good at multi-tasking. Many Trollitariot see their chosen occupation as an extension of their identity and take pride in what they do as long as it was their choice to do so. For a Trollitariot finding a job that can call their own matters far more than any paycheck or praise from their employers.
Trollitariot are broad humanoid-like creatures with long thin arms and legs, a long nose, and a few patches of wiry black hair on their head and chest. They are usually a shade of green, but red, blue and grey are not uncommon. Their long narrow eyes are usually a bright complimentary color to their skin tone. They have very long pointy ears which gives away their fey heritage. In a lot of ways, they kind of look like a Bogey who was stretched and blown out of proportion.
Creature Type: Fey
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2, up to its normal maximum.
• • Talent Access: You have access to the Fey, Growth, Natural Armor, Savage, and Stout species talent trees.
• • Age: Trollitariot come of age at age 17-20 and have a lifespan that can live up to 150 years outside of the Dreamtime, and 300 or more years inside it.
• • Size: Trolls stand between 5 and 6 '6'' feet tall and average about 150 to 200 pounds. Your size is Medium.
• • Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
• • Language: You can speak, read, and write Trade Tongue, and one of Elvin or Gnomish.
• • Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
• • Trollitariot Recovery: For every hit dice you spend to heal hit points to yourself, you heal back one extra hit point. This is cumulative with similar effects.
• • Worker: You have proficiency in two artisan tools of choice.
Pick one of Boss or Quarry Trollitariot.
Many Trollitariot can be commanding and steadfast bosses and union leaders.
• • Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 1, up to its normal maximum.
• • I'm the boss: If you take damage from a creature, your very next use of Intimidation Tactics (see new actions) against that creature has advantage, and that creature will have disadvantage to save or resist your Intimidation roll for that action. This effect is lost once triggered, if you become incapacitated, and fades harmlessly if one-minute passes without using it. This effect is not cumulative and only applies to one creature at a time.
• • Intimidating Will: Your gain proficiency with the Intimidation skill. You may also always substitute your Wisdom modifier for your Charisma modifier for Intimidation rolls, if beneficial.
These strong and tough Trollitariot are used to working in mines and quarries.
• • Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
• • Nearly Regeneration: As a reaction to taking damage or as a bonus action, you may spend one hit dice to heal hit points to yourself. You must take a short or long rest before using this feature again.
• • Bigger Build (talent): you may now carry weight equal to your Strength score x 20 (instead of x 15). You also gain advantage on any Strength ability check related to carrying, lifting, pulling, or pushing heavy objects, or breaking down doors or other objects. This advantage cannot be applied to combat-like actions against creatures.
#drevrpg #dnd #5e #dungeonsanddragons5e #apocalypse #races